A tooth infection or traumatic dental injury can be painful, scary, and even worse—dangerous to your oral and overall health. In the past, these situations often meant that the tooth would need to be extracted. However, with advances in dental procedures, technology, and materials, we can often save the tooth with root canal therapy.
At our Simsbury, CT office, we provide expert root canal therapy and beautiful crown restorations. Our goal is to save your natural tooth whenever possible and help you regain full function and a beautiful smile. To learn more about this procedure combination and how it can benefit you, read on.
what is root canal therapy?
Root canal therapy is a procedure used to treat an infected or damaged tooth. The goal of the procedure is to remove the damaged tissue, bacteria, and debris from inside the tooth so that it can be saved. During the procedure, the entire pulp (which contains the nerve and blood supply) is removed from the tooth. The root canal is then cleaned, disinfected, and sealed.
Contrary to popular belief, root canal therapy is not a painful procedure. In fact, most patients report feeling little to no discomfort at all during the entire process. With today’s advances in dental technology, the procedure is typically quick and easy.
benefits of root canal therapy
Many benefits can be derived from root canal therapy, such as:
- Relief from pain: If you are experiencing pain due to an infected or damaged tooth, root canal therapy can provide relief.
- Saving your natural tooth: Root canal therapy allows us to save your natural tooth, which is always our goal.
- Avoiding further damage: If an infected tooth is left untreated, it can lead to further damage, such as a tooth abscess. Root canal therapy can help avoid this.
what is a dental crown?
Once the tooth has been cleaned and sealed, a crown (also known as a “cap”) will be placed over it to protect it from further damage. Crowns are custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of your natural teeth. That way, your smile will look completely natural.
Crowns are an important part of root canal therapy because they help to restore the function and appearance of the tooth. Without a crown, the tooth would be more susceptible to further breakage and likely require extraction.
benefits of a dental crown
- Restores the function of the tooth
- Restores the appearance of the tooth
- Protects the tooth from further damage
- Prevents the need for extraction
do i need a root canal or dental crown?
Many factors can lead to the need for root canal therapy or a dental crown. These include the following:
- Infection or abscess in the tooth
- A deep cavity that has damaged the tooth
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- A fracture in the tooth
- Previous dental work that has failed
your trusted smile care team
If you think you may need root canal therapy or a crown, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with us. At our office, we take a compassionate and individualized approach to each of our patients. We will thoroughly evaluate your smile and develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your unique needs.
To learn more about root canal therapy and crowns, or to schedule a visit, give us a call today. We look forward to helping you achieve and maintain your beautiful, healthy smile!